Monday, March 28, 2016

Raising Money for Pencils of Promise

My topic was to raise money for an organization called Pencils of Promise, which provides an education for students in poorer areas. I slightly modified my topic because instead of selling bracelets, I am going to be selling charms/key chains made out of rubber bands. I decided to do this instead because as a kid, I used to be obsessed with making charms out of rubber bands, so it won't be hard to make it. So far, I have made a couple heart charms. I plan on selling the charms all at once so it will be easier for me.
I have learned that raising money for an organization can be tough because it requires a lot of effort. I haven't figured out how much I am going to sell everything yet. I have learned that I really want to help people in poorer countries get an education and I am really interested in helping people live a better life overall. 
I did have a setback, making the bracelets, but I fixed that problem by changing my method of raising money to making charms out of rubber bands, which I have had a lot of experience with.
The next step in my process is to just continue to make new products and eventually sell them. I don't know if I can sell them at school, so I am still trying to figure out where, how much, and how I am going to sell them.
I have learned that a lot of people in the world are not as fortunate as us. I feel like in Saratoga, we live in a bubble and a lot of people are not aware of all the other stuff that is happening in the world. I feel that raising money for Pencils of Promise will not only make other students more aware of the situation in other countries, but it will also help me understand it. 

Pictures of some charms made so far:




No comments:

Post a Comment