Tuesday, May 10, 2016

20 Time Individual Reflection


20% Time is where 20% of class time is dedicated to a student project (has to be problem/solution oriented, but students have total freedom to pick their topic). For my 20% Time Project, I have chosen to raise money and bring more awareness about helping others who do not have access to the same things as we do. Initially, I wanted to raise money for an organization called Pencils of Promise, a non profit organization that funds scholarships, builds schools, and trains teachers, by making crafts and selling them to people. After a couple weeks, I realized that I wanted to do more than just donate money to this organization. I wanted to show people how important it is to help your community. I decided to make a website where I list some good organizations to donate to and also quotes from people in our community who regularly donate and how they feel when they give back to the community. I also made a short youtube video (I still need to edit) where I interviewed people on their thoughts on donations and charities. I asked them certain questions like if they enjoy giving than receiving. It was very interesting to see the results and I made the video so others can also (I will show in Ted Talk Presentation). It was very challenging to make the charms, which took me a couple weeks to master. 

I ended up selling only 10 before I realized that I rather bring more awareness toward the different organizations so more people will be inspired to give back to the community. I chose this challenge because I think giving back to the community is important and I love helping others who are less fortunate. My goal was initially raise money for an organization called Pencils of Promise that builds schools in poorer areas where education is not a priority, but later on, my goal was to help others realize that giving back to the community is important and should not be ignored. I did achieve my goal by selling few charms to people and making a website and youtube video so people can become more aware about my message about helping society. 

I actually really enjoyed doing this project. It was really great to give back to the community and helping others realize that giving is important. This project is definitely a life-long project because it is hard to get the whole world to agree to help others, since many only think about their own needs. 

This 20 Time Project helped me learn more about the different organizations and how fortunate we are to grow up in a community where everyone is so caring and helpful. I realize that we need to help others if we want to make a difference in this world. 

I am going to continue to raise awareness to giving to others for my whole life and hopefully, my efforts will make a difference in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment